A momo is a dumpling that traces its origins to Nepal and Tibet. Today it is a popular dish not just in Tibet and Nepal but also in India. While it is a staple diet in Nepal, it is seen more as a quick snack in India.
Although, in recent times, many variants have spawned to cater to the local cuisine, the recipe for making a momo remains pretty much the same. Watch this short video to learn how to make momos.
The detailed recipe for making momos is given below:
A momo consists of two parts – the outer covering and the inner filling.
To make the outer covering:
- To make the outer covering, mix wheat flour, salt and a spoon of oil in a bowl.
- Add water in little quantities and slowly but firmly knead the dough.
- Set aside the dough in a closed container for nearly half an hour.
- Take a small portion of the dough and roll it till it becomes a small circle of 5-7 centimetres in diameter.
To make the inner filling:
- When it comes to preparing the inner filling, the choices are virtually unlimited.
- One can choose from plain vegetables to chicken or mutton or a combination of meat and vegetables.
- Chop the required filling to very small pieces and fry for a few minutes in an oil-pan. Add garlic, pepper and onion to enhance the taste of the filling.
- Once it is appropriately fried, take a small quantity of the filling and cover it with the dough.
Steam boil the raw momo for 20 minutes and Voila! You have fresh momos ready 🙂
For more videos from Omalaya, kindly visit our Youtube page.Tags: Omalaya